Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ode to Joy!



Found this project featured on Design*Sponge a few days ago. Love. This gal took a crewel that her mom created back in the 70s, a ratty old thrift store chair, and went to work! Isn't the finished piece beautiful? And I love the history behind it...what a neat conversation piece!

Sidenote: I've wanted to learn how to reupholster furniture for years now.

Enter my friend Ashton. At the age of 26 she decided she wanted to learn how to play the violin. So she asked Santa for one, and 23 days later she's texting me an audio file of herself playing Ode to Joy. As a middle school math teacher, she's been playing hooky from bus duty to sneak visits with the orchestra teacher and practice with the kids.

She has inspired me over the edge. I WILL reupholster a chair in 2013! In fact, I just watched a 15-minute youtube video of a very jolly man teaching me how to do just that (Santa?). Will my first chair be perfect? Nope. But neither was Ashton's Ode to Joy and it was the most beautiful song I've ever heard. Because she's her. Because she embraced it. And because she picked up a bow and just. started. playing.  That's some joy worth oding right there!

3 comments:

  1. YOUUUUUUU are awesome. I am sitting here trying not to tear up in front of the kiddos who are busy testing right now!!! Thanks Stace. :) WOOO FOR REUPHOLSTERING FURNITURE!!! I can't wait to see your first chair and later, hire you to do my whole house. When I have a house. Aka in 20 years. But I'm still excited. YOU GO GIRL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stace and Ash! So excited for both of you in your endeavors! Can't wait to sit in your chair Stace and to hear you play Ash! Love you both! :)

    ReplyDelete